Target Community & Educational Services, Inc.'s (Target) Day Habilitation Program provides an individualized and structured approach in assisting individuals with developmental and other various disabilities. This goal is met through individual and small group activities in areas including education, recreation, and volunteer opportunities within the community.
Target's Vocational Education Center, housing the Day Habilitation Program, provides our clients the opportunity to explore and practice these concepts by offering a computer lab, a library, an oversized learning kitchen, and classroom space. The center's large multi-purpose room allows individuals the opportunity to work on contractual work and provides space for leisure time activities and trainings.
Target’s Vocational Education Center Day Habilitation Program in Carroll County assists clients in refining important daily living skills, academics, and pre-vocational skills. The trainings are hands-on and related to life experiences. Training topics include:
Daily Living Skills: This area focuses on preparing clients for situations they are likely to encounter in the community and in their daily lives.
- Community Skills: making new friends, getting along with roommates, in the community, and communicating with supervisors and coworkers.
- Time Management: telling time, learning the importance of managing their time wisely, using a scheduling planner, being punctual, and maintaining good on-the-job attendance.
- Money Management: personal budgeting, banking management, and the importance of savings.
- Hygiene: all aspects of personal hygiene, from both health and socially appropriate perspectives.
- Health and Nutrition: cooking lessons, healthy nutrition instruction, and physical fitness training.
Academic Skills: Training provides instruction to prepare clients to live as independently as possible while functioning as a productive member of our community.
- Reading: word recognition and reading enrichment and comprehension.
- Math: various levels of math instruction according to individual needs.
- Handwriting: working to improve individual print and cursive writing skills.
- Science: education concentrating on science concepts that includes hands-on experiments .
Pre-vocational Skills: Client preparation to ensure success in employment and volunteer endeavors in the community.
- Job Development: employment search, filling out applications, resume writing, and interviewing skills.
- Volunteer Opportunities: provides experiences to increase employability and provides the opportunity for clients to give-back to the community.
For more information on Target Community & Educational Services, Inc.’s Day Habilitation Program, please contact Allie Rutland, Day Habilitation Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-848-9090, ext. 42.